As a school, we believe that Art is a vital and integral part of children’s education.
We provide enjoyable opportunities for all children to develop a range of ways in which they can share and express their individual creativity, whilst learning about and making links with a wide spectrum of different types of art in our society.
What are the core concepts we want the children to know?
- A secure understanding of the National curriculum objectives.
- In depth knowledge of the works of diverse artists and how their work affects the world.
- Improved fine motor skills and tool control.
- Development of practical art skills using a range of mediums, inspirations and purposes.
- A love of Art, and confidence and resilience when completing pieces.
What does it mean to get better at Art?
Pupils’ enjoyment, skills, knowledge and understanding of Art, History and Culture will be developed, resulting in improved pieces that each child is proud of. Our children will:
- Enjoy Art and show perseverance, resilience and focus when completing pieces.
- Discuss and think about key vocabulary.
- Have growing knowledge of key artists and their impact on the Art we see today.
- Be able to express their ideas and feelings, creating Art with a message.
- Design and plan their own pieces using a range of materials and techniques.
- Evaluate the work of themselves and others with increased use of the correct terminology.
How have we chosen what to teach?
We base our sequence of teaching on the progression of learning which is set out within the National Curriculum.
- KAPOW scheme to ensure progressive skills and knowledge that is adaptable and clear for children to see where they are starting and continuing their learning journey.
- Projects (based on cross curricular topics) where children produce creative work, exploring their ideas.
- Skills based sessions so children become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques.
- Opportunities to evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design.
- Studying great artists, craft makers and designers, and understanding the historical and cultural development of their art forms.
Learning through Achieve, Create, Enjoy
- All children celebrated for their talents as Artists, encouraged to self assess their own strengths and celebrate them
- Links with local artists and experts for class/Key Stage/whole school projects to be displayed in the School/grounds.
● Children given many creative opportunities with some short and long term projects.
● ACE days based around a topic and Art technique, including Art projects that are shared with the school.